“Know-it-all” syndrome



This the first blog that I am writing using my new laptop… feels great.. an expression of the financial independence that I am enjoying .. But it isn’t that easy to type in this as in a normal desktop.. a curious thing is going on happening .. for the three lines that I have typed I have not been able to get one single line at one go.. the cursor is playing hide and seek with me and I keep going to the first line.. Hmmm.. yeah will get used to it… before somebody asks let me tell you that it is a HP Compaq Presario V2381 …the Widescreen one… yeah influenced by the TV ad where the girl introduces “the future son in law” to her parents… :-)


Took the lappie to the office last Sunday & this weekend again….and got to notice first hand the “Know-it-all syndrome” of guys … no offence meant for the guys out there… But this is how some of the conversations went….

Guy1: Hey you got a new laptop..?
Me: Yeah …(enthusiastically….happy that somebody noticed J)
Guy1: What is the configuration ?
Me: Pentium,1.6Ghz,40 GB harddisk,256 MB RAM…
Guy1: Hmmm… Did you check it out?
Me: A bit puzzled.. check what out ?
Guy1: You know…u can never be sure … just check whether it is really 256 MB RAM..

Guy2: Naya Laptop? Wah… badiya hai…
Me: Thanks..
Guy2: Hume bhi dhikao.. kaisa hai dekhte hein…
Me – Showed him…
He rubbed his chin thoughtfully & became serious suddenly… I got a bit nervous wondering what he was going to say…Then he asked..
“This is a copied version of Windows XP is it?”
Me: Yeah…
He cluck-clucked as if it was the saddest thing that could happen to anybody
Guy2: You should have got the original version…
He nodded his head as affirmative to his own statement...& went off…

Huh… I thought I will not bother about all this & kept working or rather attempted to do something intelligent when the 3rd one came & I thought If I kept quiet he will just admire it & go off.. well no such luck…it was the syndrome at its peak….

Guy3: Why did you take 1.6Ghz wala..? and he threw a totally disgusted look at me…
Poor me… It was like flashing headlights at a startled deer…
I made a feeble attempt at defending myself…
Me: Err… I thought I do not want that much speed … (that was stupid…Could have tried something sophisticated to tell him... But I surrendered before it even started…)
Guy3: You need to have better processing speed than that & your RAM would also not help you …..
Me: Hmmm… maybe… (again a hopeless reply)
Then I threw a typical feminine statement “I will ask my husband to get a better one for me”… and kicked myself mentally for the delicate darling reply.. as if I don’t have the brain to get a good one myself….
He laughed as if it was the funniest thing he has heard in life & left it at that… Phew ...!!! I sighed in relief at my narrow escape…. Come on…A girl has her pride yaar…

I think guys have this mentality – ‘me the techno savvy & you the dumbo’ and that somehow somebody forgot to give the Nobel prize to them…

A laptop is a laptop & it is dear to me because it is mine... Never mind the low processing speed…. Hmmph….

Then I received a beautiful comment that brought the cat-like smile back to my face “Wooooooooow… You got a new laptop… very cute.....so nice”..

He he he … Well that is a typical girl for you !!

Signing off
Sundari

Comments

Gaurav said…
Hmmm..naya Lappie..and i hope that posts will flow now..Unlike me. I have more or less divorced my blog since the time i have got my laptop!
Btw..me not that tech savvy! what say?
;-)
Anonymous said…
Funny!!!...Know it all syndrome ehh??...
Anonymous said…
Congrats for your new Laptop. Must be good. Configuration doesn’t matter. Anyway you are going to write blogs only na. and sometimes u will read some tech books ;-) What happened to your Free digital Radio. Nice Post Keep writing.
Anonymous said…
when did u get married......

Popular posts from this blog

Rajnikanth - Fish out of water !!

Its about Books ..

Random Thoughts ...