A Bullies world !!

This is a sudden post brought on by some small incidents that keep affecting me & I believe some others too...

At the Indira Gandhi airport a week back (the day I returned from Trichy), I was standing in line for the Prepaid Taxi. There was a long queue. When my turn came the guy at the counter suddenly got a call on his mobile. While I was waiting for him to finish it,a lady suddenly came at my side. She tried to push me aside & talk to the counter guy. I was irritated & asked her politely to stand in line. She did not respond but stopped pushing me. Nevertheless she stood where she was & did not move from there. Finally when I got hold of my receipt & came out of the queue,the lady stepped in.No amount of indignation from the other people behind her perturbed her & she had her way.

Today I had attended the engagement of one of my friends.There was a buffet arranged for us. While I was helping myself to the delicacies one by one on my plate, a lady who was next in line started pushing me with her elbow. What she wanted to achieve by that escapes me ..Accepted that the things before us were mouth watering but waiting for 2 mins for her turn is not something too much to ask for ..is it ? The same thing happened with my friend when a guy just ignored her patiently waiting for her 'Gajjar ka halwa' and bulldozed his way to take his share.Do people get selective blindness when it comes to matters of food ?

You may think I am over reacting.But these are not isolated incidents.Almost all the time there is a bully around us somewhere who tries to do things according to his/her will with little or no concern of how it affects the others around.The fact that there are others waiting for the same things patiently does not bother them much.

In this fast paced world waiting is really hard.But it is actually pleasant sometimes to stop running & wait for a change.Those minutes of waiting can be used to do some serious introspection which you may otherwise never indulge in.

And for those bullies out there just remember there may be a bigger bully than you just waiting for the opportunity to push you.

People pl write back with any of your experiences & any way we can tackle this.

Signing off
Sundari

Note: There is a topic under discussion in my forum.If interested pl join the discussion by clicking on the Enter My forum button on the right handside column.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Point noted..Concept of a queue is not taken seriously here..we are an overpopulated country and most ppl have been taught to develop in them a 'go get it' attitude..a moral dilemma(Gogetter Vs Wait for ur turn) stares at us when we stand patiently , rather inmpatiently in line at the ATMs(I hate that..) , the cinema , cash counter in a mall , McDonalds , the bus , food courts at the office , almost everywhere..in the war between supply and demand , the latter wins always..infact I think , the latter should win always..but that is another thing altogether..the point being , "We are like this only" is the emotion we have made ourselves familiar to and the only way we can overcome dog fights in Qs is have faith..Faith in 'Daane daane pe likha hain khaanewaale ka naam'..
Anonymous said…
Hi Sundary,
This is the first time I am commenting for your blog...but the thing is... I really took a serious note of wat u wrote..I happened to pass thro' the same incident many a times and got irritated to the core...but I am forced to think today,"If I ever bullied anyone,knowingly or unknowingly?...May be to snatch a railway ticket for my missing trains...I don remember...but yes my conscience admits it...somewhere ,sometime...So I promise myself and request others who r reading this blog to just remind ourselves also,In this Fast pacing world...Let us be a bit considerate to others.
Anonymous said…
Hi Sundary
Yeah..such incidents occur everywhere in the world ...
The lady who bullied you at the airport would have got a reason to do like that. I remember once when I had to cancel a first class AC train ticket at 7:45 PM ( i.e the couter closes at 8 PM)I had to break the queue and plead others telling the reason and get my turn first. If I had waited in the queue , then I would have lost around 2000 Rs. I really felt guilty for doing like that. I admit that knowingly or unknowingly , I would have bullied others like this . After reading your blog , I sat back and was thinking , What would u do at Trichy , when u wait for more than an hour for a bus from Bhel Township to Trichy town , and finally when the bus comes , would you wait for everyone to get in and then get in as the last person ..or simply manage urself in to the crowd ?
Sundari said…
hi to all anonymous people & Cancerian...

I believe you can find a difference b/w people who push for a genuine reason & others who do it just for the sake of it.
The lady whom I had mentioned in this post was plain bored to stand in queue...If it had been otherwise we would have gladly stood aside for her..

The bus question is a different situation .. but for answering it ...so far that I recall I used to avoid getting into the bus in the first place.. or be the last to get in allowing others to enter first..

This may not be a go get it attitude in your definition.... Again am telling you there is a difference b/w a go get it attitude & plain decency...

Pushing around people is not what you call 'Go get it'.. it is as Anon 1 said simply 'Dog fight' and not an emotion belonging with humans...

Hope you read this comment...
Anonymous said…
Hi...readin ur blog after a lonnnng time......

thou the problem of bullying exists, most ppl dont take it very seriously......i personally think u r mot sensitive to tis kind of behaviour.

tis is not the first time i have seen u gettin reely upset wen somebody doesnt follow the queue.guess i have had first hand experience. anyways i dont think u wil remember......if u do...then i vil eat my own tongue
Anonymous said…
hi.......tis is for ur blog on novels....

hav u read Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham.its a reely very touchin and thought provoking novel.....my gut feel is u vil enjoy reading that book.......tis vil atleast provide a change from all the serial killing, forensic crap tat we read in all thrillers...............

if u r reely into thrillers.....try jeffrey deaver books like Insect Man stone Monkey etc.give thorough knowledge abt forensics and other allied fields
Blogger said…
hi,

your story is interesting and i just read half....but i will read it all......it is interesting...

hem

Popular posts from this blog

Rajnikanth - Fish out of water !!

Its about Books ..

Random Thoughts ...